So you've been doing Pilates for a while now (or maybe you're new) and you're getting pretty good at it (or you will do). But did you know that every exercise you're doing is based on six core principles from the man himself, Joseph Pilates...
1) Centring — this is defined as physically bringing the focus to the centre of the body, the powerhouse area between the lower ribs and pubic bone. A strong centre ensures a good spine, and a good spine brings power to your movements.
2) Concentration — Pilates asks for your full attention. If you bring your mind to each exercise and do it with full commitment, you will obtain maximum value from each movement. Joseph Pilates saw his techniques as "coordinating mind, body and spirit".
3) Control — Joseph Pilates described his program as 'controlology'. Every exercise is done with complete muscular control. No body part is left to its own devices. It is all a conscious, deliberate movement that the mind is controlling.
4) Precision — alignment is essential in Pilates. Awareness is sustained throughout each movement. There is an appropriate placement and trajectory for each part of the body. The idea is that by doing this, you will prevent injuries.
5) Breath — Joseph Pilates emphasized using a very full breath in his exercises. He advocated thinking of the lungs as a bellows, using them strongly to pump the air in and out of the body. Most Pilates exercises coordinate with the breath, and using the breath properly is an integral part of Pilates exercise.
6) Flow — Pilates exercise is done in a flowing manner. Fluidity, grace, and ease are goals applied to all exercises. The energy of an exercise connects all body parts and flows through the body in an even way. The connection you feel during sessions and the momentum each movement creates gives Pilates a sense of flowing energy.
Stick to these ideals when you do Pilates and you won't go wrong. Stick with us and read our next blog soon...
Want to get the benefits of Pilates? Join our Equipment or Matt Pilates Classes in Fulham / Hammersmith. Our Equipment Pilates Studio has all the equipment you need including the Reformer, Chair, CoreAlign and Much more. Bing Pilates Studio in Hammersmith London.