By Bing Pilates, Apr 13 2017 12:04AM
Summer is almost here but before it gets in full swing, have you considered a detox? Here are some detox tips that you can try out for a day or two to get you feeling tip-top...
1) Drink green juice — freshly juiced veggies and fruits are fantastic at cleaning out your body. If you don't have a juicer at home, there are plenty of high street food places that serve juice drinks. Have a juice that contains some greens first thing because fresh and raw veggies are full of live enzymes that help clean out your cells and refuel your body.
2) Drink water and lemon — get into the habit of starting your day with a big glass of water with lemon right when you wake up. Lemon is detoxing, alkalizing and gets your metabolism geared up. Every function in our body runs on water, including elimination and cleansing, so it's important to drink it. Aim to drink at least two litres of water a day (more if you exercise).
3) Eat a raw lunch — you can have veggies, nuts, sprouted grains, seeds, cold-pressed oils. Any salad will do. If you’re a meat eater, you can add a lean meat like chicken breast or fish, but don’t add processed marinades or mayo. The more veggies you eat, the more cleansing power you give your body.
4) Eat a clean dinner — like lunch, you should keep your plate full of raw or lightly cooked veggies and keep the extra sauces and oils to a minimum. You can have some cooked food like rice or a lean meat, but if you have one then don’t have the other. Keeping your meal organized to contain either starch or protein will help your digestive system efficiently process your healthy meal.
5) Avoid all of these — salt, sugar, coffee, dairy, artificial sweeteners, wheat and alcohol. If you can give up these for a day, you'll feel the difference. If you go longer than a day, then you'll get superpowers. That might have been a lie, but you'll definitely feel great at the very least!
6) Take a daily probiotic — probiotics are good bacteria that help reduce inflammation and prevent infection. Healthy bacteria like this will keep your entire system in balance so you can detox efficiently. Plus they boost your immunity. Have as much probiotic rich, fermented foods such as sauerkraut, kombucha, kimchi, greek yogurt or tempeh. Or if not, take a probiotic supplement every day.
7) Have lots of good sleep — aim for at least 7-8 hours a night at the best of times. But when you're detoxing, you should really try and have at least 7 hours a night. Because the more tired you are, the less energetic you will feel. And you need rest to restore your body's energy. So sleep well!
Stay tuned for more blogs soon...